From Jaws in the 1970s to the Frankenstein plays in the 1800s, short horror story topics have always sent shivers down the spines of enthusiasts. They are graphic, scary, and shocking. Nevertheless, they usually have a message to teach or to warn us about our society and human nature. Such topics are popular in university because of their numerous themes and plots, which students can use to write literature reviews.
So, what does one need to consider before settling for short horror story ideas? First, there are different types of horror stories. Consider settling for a horror story idea that you are comfortable with. Luckily, we have put together a list of topics, essay ideas, and their theme proposal examples to help you with your horror story assignment.
Interesting Short Horror Story Ideas
Secondly, consider the allure of the topic. It would be best if you settled for an interesting topic that has sufficient sources for your references. Besides, you would want to complete the story as quickly as possible. It is easier to write a paper when you have a lot of credible sources. So, if you are still puzzled about what to write about, consider the following topic ideas.
- A bartender calls the last round to the one remaining visitor who happens to be the Devil
- A bot in a small town has a brain tumor that overtime manifests into a twin. As they age, they become evil torturing people in school and college
- A boy gets kicked with a soccer ball in practice only to wake up in the hands of aliens conducting tests on the boy.
- A girl’s father has been missing for most of her life growing up. However, the man has been hiding a terrible secret; he is a vicious werewolf
- Demonic possession of a toy story character that a boy has just purchased from the store
- Red and fiery creatures flying above us and can be seen when one looks up in the storm
- Attending camping with your fellow school mates only to realize the woods are haunted by creatures that hunt based on sound and breathing movements
- A little girl survives a global invasion of vampires when the sun’s energy source is depleted.
- A small girl is bullied in her childhood only to grow up to become a witch and wreak havoc on those that inflicted pain and misery on her
- Imagine the story of little red riding hood only this time the small girl was a vampire who fought off werewolves trying to devour her grandmother
- Friends on a trip to Papa New Guinea discover a shrine they did not know was haunted by an evil creature whom they carried on their smartphones and couldn’t get rid of. The creature manifests itself every time the friends call another person
- A world where world leaders are zombies who perform rituals and sacrifices to appease the evil creatures threatening their families
- Serial killers worldwide assemble online to perform a series of gruesome murders during the summer season of 2021
- Scientists accidentally release a poisonous gas which turns everyone into bloodthirsty vampires and werewolves
- A man wakes up only to realize his little daughter is the antichrist described in many religious stories. His only choice is to kill her
- Locusts invade the country and tear up everything including metal, crops and human flesh
- A casual trip to space goes horribly wrong as the astronaut returns home with an alien pathogen that grows and regenerates to consume flesh including earthly people
- A wrongfully convicted woman during the Salem witch trials comes back to life as a result of a naïve expedition and wreaks havoc on the very town that betrayed her
- Whatever monster people dress up as during the 2021st Halloween becomes real
- A man in search of treasure accidentally stumbles on treasure belonging to a man who sold whose identity is not known at the time. The man takes the treasure only to discover it belonged to dracula
- A priest embarks on a journey to expel evil from the gates of hell
- A man collapses only to wake up with a dreaded hellhound charging after him